When you are injured in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Even when you are partially at fault, you can focus on ways to improve your overall compensation in the event you win a personal injury lawsuit. You have the right to to file a personal injury suit as long as you are found less than 50% at fault. The money you receive will be reduced based on your percentage of fault. You'll want to take a careful look at the accident report to ensure it's correct, and work hard to prove the extent of your injuries so that you get the money you deserve to move forward with your life.

Seek Medical Care for Your Injuries

Your treatment providers are going to be the individuals who help you recover from your injuries. When you actively participate in treatment, this gives your treatment providers the information they need to assess the extent of your injuries and your potential for a full recovery. If you ignore medical advice and you don't follow through with treatment, you aren't going to have the proof you need to show how much you have suffered because of your injuries. To improve your level of compensation, seek all the medical care you need.

Review the Accident Report for Mistakes

Take a careful look at any accident reports that are filed regarding your case to see if there are mistakes. If you can establish that you were less at fault, this will increase your overall compensation. For example, if you are found 40% at fault for an accident where you are awarded $100,000, you will receive $60,000. If you can get your percentage of fault reduced to 30%, you would receive $70,000 from the same case. Make sure the accident report is an accurate representation of what occurred on the day you were injured.

Be Wary of Settling Early

If an insurance company comes forward and wants you to settle quickly, this usually indicates that you have a strong case. If this occurs, it's time to bring your case to a personal injury attorney who can assess the merits of your case. Once you sign a settlement agreement, you can't file a personal injury lawsuit even if your injuries are more extensive than originally thought.

If you've been injured in an accident, it's time to seek the help of a qualified personal injury attorney, like Clearfield & Kofsky.